Friday, December 2, 2011

John Lasseter and Steven Spielberg are at BYU

Page 9
Before I ever even learned to loop it or swoop it, or simply put to tie my shoes, I knew what I wanted to be when I grew up. The library offered countless books of cartoon images to practice from which I set out to draw from every single one of. My mom would be frustrated because she’d be expecting me to learn the alphabet (which was neatly pasted on my wall), but my attention would be absorbed by my tireless efforts to mimic the drawings from these books. I drew so much that I confidently proclaimed to my second grade teacher that I would go work as an animator for Disney someday.
A few years later, after seeing hundreds of movies, I borrowed my dad’s brick shaped camcorder and discovered a whole new passion. It didn’t matter what pointless images were being filmed, just as long as the camera was always on. Slowly as I grew more experienced I began to arrange short stories to create some meaning to what was being filmed. The longest film I’ve produced thus far is an hour long and the shorter ones range to only a few minutes.
Throughout high school I took advanced drawing courses which consumed most my time, but the portion left over was dedicated to creating movies. Now that I’m at BYU, more than ever am I driven to find my place among the greatest directors and animators who have ever lived. I told my second grade teacher what I wanted to be and now I’m closer than ever. It starts with my journey through the Harris Fine Arts Center, but someday it will end with my success as a Disney animator and my road as a live action film director with his own production studio. 

No comments:

Post a Comment